Avoid Electrical Problems During the Holidays

Filed under: Electrical Tips

House decorated with lights for Christmas

Now that November has arrived, we’re beginning to see holiday decorations in stores – and pretty soon we’ll be seeing them in our neighborhoods! If you’re getting ready to set up your seasonal display, here’s what you need to know in order to avoid electrical problems this December.

Choose non-electric alternatives. If all of your decorations require electricity, you’re at greater risk for problems. Choose some alternatives, such as candles in your windows or figurines in your yard. Of course, if you use candles you should also take the proper steps to prevent fires. Otherwise you’re just trading one problem for another.

Keep your tree hydrated. If you have a Christmas tree in your home, remember to keep it well watered. A dried-out, dehydrated tree provides excellent kindling for fires. Even a small spark can cause it to go up in flames.

Switch to LED lights. Yes, they’re a bit more expensive, but worth it in the long run. LED lights use less electricity and generate less heat, lowering your risk of both fires and electrical overload.

Don’t overload your circuits. Most people decorate with strand after strand of lights, all connected to one another, and then plug one set into an outlet. This can overload your circuits! Try to arrange your light display so that you can plug strands of lights into several different outlets, rather than just one.

Inspect your lights carefully before using them. If you’ve used the same strands of lights for several years in a row, they make have become damaged. Frayed and exposed wires can cause fires, so inspect each strand carefully and throw away any damaged ones.

Watch your heat sources. Using electrical wires near fireplaces, candles, or space heaters can result in melted wires. This is a serious fire hazard, so keep electrical decorations away from heat sources!

If you do experience electrical difficulties this holiday season, or have questions about avoiding fires and other problems, give us a call at ReCom Electric: (951) 698-6132 We can diagnose your problem and help you keep your property and family safe.