Electrical Safety Tips to Prevent a Fire

Filed under: Electrical Tips

Tagged with: · · ·

Did you know that most residential and commercial fires are caused by an electrical problem? There are a variety of factors that can increase the risk of an electrical fire, and the best thing that you can do is work with an experienced electrician to reduce the risk in your home or office. Here are a few safety tips to implement in your home if you want to avoid an electrical fire:

Use the Outlets CorrectlyElectrical Safety Tips

It is a common mistake to overload the outlets, resulting in a situation where a short circuit can happen and possibly cause a fire. Be careful to limit the number of appliances that are plugged into a single outlet, especially if they are high wattage appliances.

Inspect Outlets and Switches

Have you ever touched a switch or outlet and noticed that you were shocked when contact was made? Another sign of a faulty switch is if it feels warm to the touch. These signs might indicate that the wiring is deteriorating or exposed, and could potentially lead to fires. It is better to have the switches and outlets inspected to prevent a fire.

Don’t Tamper with the Plugs and Outlets

Typically, tampering with the outlet happens when children are playing and they try to put something into the outlet. If you have young children in your home, teach them about safety with outlets. Also, it is best to install outlets that are designed to be tamper preventative.

Be Careful with Extension Cords

If you are using a faulty extension cord, then it could potentially cause sparks which can ignite a fire. Check the length of the extension cord to look for weak points in the protective outer layer. Also, never place the cord under a rug or debris, because these objects increase the risk of fire if a spark occurs.

Use Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters

Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs) are designed to prevent short circuiting and they have a built-in mechanism that will trip when it is overloaded or triggered. It is a good idea to use GFCIs in places that are at risk for water exposure, such as the bathroom, kitchen, laundry room, or any outdoor outlets that are found on your home.

To prevent a fire, the best thing that you can do is hire an experienced electrician to inspect the electrical system of your home. Contact Rick Lawson for Residential and Commercial Electrical Services by calling: (951) 698-6132